Saturday, December 24, 2011

A few of my favorite things.

Sometimes there are just no excuses for taking such an inexplicably long time to reply to your posts. Unless, of course, you were willing to count several international flights, my first case of pneumonia, and a trip that left me computerless for almost a month as excuses? Ha, just kidding. I just knew the blog was in very good hands while I was away:)

Life in Sweden is pretty much back to normal now that the jet lag has nearly worn off. For reasons I cannot explain, I wake up at 3 or 4 am sharp every night since getting back. It wouldn't be a big deal if I could just go back to sleep, but I lie there wide awake for hours. Which has prompted me to take a sleeping pill when I wake up that helps me to sleep through my alarm the next morning. It's a vicious cycle, really. But you know I love my sleep.

I was thinking about what to call this post so I started looking through pictures from my time at home to help me decide. What I thought was that I was looking at all my favorite things. Most are actually people instead of things, but you know what I mean. Things that I love, and that make me feel loved.

So in honor of your Thanksgiving list, I made a list of my own.

#1. The family Christmas tree.



Every year we get out what feels like 25 boxes of ornaments and a mile and a half of tree lights to decorate the Christmas tree. To the sighs of (mostly male) members of the family, we spend hours turning a normal looking tree into a collection of every ornament we've had since the year we were born. And with 5 kids, it adds up. What I realized, this year more than most, is that I love it. That until that tree is sitting there in all of it's Christmas glory it just doesn't feel like Christmas. We have a smaller version now in Sweden, and it's made the holiday feel much more festive. And it reminds me of home.

      
#2. The dogs.

I know I'm biased, but I truly think these are the cutest dogs in the world. It didn't matter what kind of day I was having, when I saw them it made me smile. Especially Rudy, whose ears are so disproportionately big to his small body. Then Max, who thinks he's Rudy size when he climbs on the couch to sit in your lap. And Sadie, who loves to just sit with you or be held. They can make anyone feel loved, just by wagging their tails.

Max and his duck.

Rudy and his bone.

Sweet Sadie

Rudy struggling to hold up his ears.

#3. My brothers and sisters.

It's chaos, really, to have 4 other brothers and sisters. The simplest of trips can turn into a several hour ordeal. Speaking over everyone in the house requires some form of shouting, since we're all talking at once.  And we can fight. To the point where my very Swedish husband has to take "breaks" from the mania, and seclude himself in a quite room to get some peace. But I love every one of you. How unique every one of us is, different in so many ways. And how at the end of the day, we're stuck with each other, like it or not. But I wouldn't have it any other way.


Same goes for you, Nicole. Welcome to the madness:)

#4. Mama

If ever there was someone to make me feel loved when I needed it, it's her. Growing up, she called me "her baby", she says because she was the only one who could get me to sleep as a newborn. I say that name is still fitting today. Through pain and sickness, hospitals and nursing homes, and the death of a son, this last year has been a struggle to keep going. But she does. And then, in spite of it all, she says something to make you laugh, just for good measure.




#5. My husband.

Who would have thought a quiet Swede I met on the steps of a church in Italy is the man I would be married to today? Sometimes I think about the improbability of it all, and then how very lucky I feel that he's mine. Through everything that's happened in the last year and a half, no matter how stressful it's been, he's been there. Calm and patient as ever. Yep, he's definitely my favorite.





#6. My parents.

After getting to spend an entire month with them, I wasn't sure if I could leave. Not after I was used to just meeting my Dad for lunch and seeing him after work. And spending all day with my Mom. Or when I could just call them whenever I wanted to. Things I took for granted before I lived on a different continent take on a new meaning these days. But as hard as it was to leave, I remember thinking how thankful I am for parents who I long to spend more time with.Who make me feel loved always. Everyone should be so lucky to have parents like that.





All in scrubs after watching a delivery!

Dad and Sadie.

Mom and her dog/eternal toddler, Rudy.

#7. You. 

Yes, Whiggle, I had to make a special category for you. Because of how, in the best way, you're so uniquely yourself. You're empathetic, compassionate, sensitive, driven, artistic, and thoughtful. One of the most thoughtful people I've ever met. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've found a totally unexpected card from you that's encouraged me. And you're funny. Really, really funny. I've laughed harder with you than just about anyone. 

 {Don't hate me.}

The beautiful painting you made for us.

Saying goodbye.




You are all my favorites, and now you know why. 

I hope this Christmas away from home has been fun for you, it has for me, even if I miss you all. But there's always next year. Then Mom will have us all in matching pajamas sitting on the stairs Christmas morning. Something to look forward too:)

Love you.
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment