Monday, September 19, 2011

small world

Hey Whiggle, loved the pictures of baby June! Must be so much fun to finally have her here, and to even know that it is a "her"...:) I'm afraid I wouldn't have a fraction of the patience required to wait 9 months to find something like that out.

So after our multiple weekends out of town it's been relatively calm here. I started back with classes and Bjorn's been working the rest of the summer. We did make time for a few fun things though, one of which was when Anders, Jenny, and Ludde came to visit us! It's been strange not having them in Stockholm anymore, and to not be able to see Ludde as he's gotten bigger. And he's definitely bigger. The same kid who was born a bit underweight and struggled to gain any in the beginning has more than made up for it:) I happen to believe chubby babies are adorable ( I mean, Austin is our brother and was as chubby as they come). So here's a few pictures from their visit.

Anders enjoying a drink at their hotels outdoor bar. He looks pretty relaxed.

Anders and Ludde. Please note Ludde's arms and legs. Couldn't be cuter:)

A little blurry, but Jenny and Ludde. 


I also thought I would give you a decorating update on our apartment. I know I showed you a picture of the bed, but we got the bookshelf set up now too. Together with some other things we've picked up along the way, believe it or not, it actually feels pretty cozy.

Here's the bedroom during the day

Bookshelf

This is the table we brought back from Malmo. We painted it white, along with the chairs. The little table to the left is one of two that Bjorn's dad handmade for our wedding, and they turned out beautifully.


Here's one a little later in the day, so there's not such a shadow inside. 




Here's some flower pictures. Just because I think they're pretty:)

These are the orchids I almost threw out every day for several months because I was sure they were dead. Now I'm glad I didn't...Maybe I'm actually learning patience? Haha... 



 Meet Herman, our meat-eating plant. Or Humphries, as Bjorn calls it.
This summer we left our windows open most of the time and with fruit in our apartment we developed quite the issue with fruit flies. So, Herman to the rescue. Actually, a combination of Herman and a fruit-fly killing mixture Bjorn found online did the trick. You can't see it in this picture but there are actually lots of little flies on those green leaves.The flies land on the leaves and get stuck, then Herman absorbs the nutrients from the flies. I think that's how it works. Weird, yet effective.

As for the title of the blog, I have a good story for you. I met a girl in Stockholm named Sarah through a mutual friend, and we met for fika. She told me about this church she goes to called Hillsong, one of the sister churches of the Hillsong church in Sydney, Australia. I had heard of that name before, mostly because of Hillsong United, but I had no idea there was one in Stockholm. So I went with her last Sunday, and when I was meeting people when we arrived, I was told there was another American there and they were pretty sure he was from Alabama too. That was interesting since in the entire year I had been in Sweden I had never met another person from Alabama. A few minutes later the mystery Alabamian came up to me and said,

"Hey, I'm Freddy, I'm from Dothan."

I had one of those moments where I just went blank. I felt like I just starred at him for a while, almost waiting for him to laugh and say he was joking. I mean, what are the odds? The closest I've come in the last year to meeting someone from the South is briefly meeting a girl that  lived somewhere in Georgia, and then I meet someone from Dothan...

He's married to a Swedish girl named Rebecka and they've lived in Stockholm for several months now. Rebecka has even been to Dothan, she asked where my family lived and I told her not far from Flowers Hospital. Freddy had a relative there last time they were home so she knew exactly where that was.  I also found out that Freddy was briefly apart of Calvary's youth group, no doubt we were there around the same time. We talked about Mexican Connection, the peanuts around Dothan, and the Peanut Festival. Freddy and Rebecka are actually thinking about going back to the US for the Peanut Festival this year. None of these subjects are things I ever imagined talking about with someone I met in Stockholm.

It's a very small world:)

I'm actually writing this from Kopparberg (Copper Mountain) in the middle-of-nowhere Sweden...Bjorn's doing a locum here for a week, so I decided to come with him. I brought my school stuff and it's turned out to be a really nice country escape. I've been trying to take some pictures...it's about as different from Stockholm as you can get, but very calm and relaxing. 

I hope your trip is going well, I want lots of details when you get back!

Miss you and love you Whiggle, 
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment