Monday, September 12, 2011

we remember.

Artist Finn Sloyan
Al....can you believe it's been 10 years already since the 9/11 attacks? I can't, but I can. In some ways it feels like it happend not long ago, but then when I look back at the everything that's happened since, I realize so much has changed, not just the fact we're 10 years older, but our nation has changed too.

Can you remember where we were that day? I remember we were at Dothan High School, outside....it was a beautiful pre-fall day, and we were either at break or just waiting for the bell to ring, huddled in our little group of Sophomore friends. The next thing I remember is Aaron Shelly running out to us and screaming "the world is ending!..." and I was like "what is he talking about?" But we both know that Aaron was a little crazy, so this wasn't too far off, until we got in our homeroom class, and the tv was on...and then I realized that something terrible had happened. 

What's strange to me is that I don't remember in the last few years being affected by it like I was this year. Maybe I'm older now, and since this is a milestone anniversary, there has been a plethora of news coverage about the attacks. Or maybe it's the stories of so many kids that lost a parent that day, and are now in their teens or in college. It's crazy to think about how much changed on that beautiful blue-skied day. 

Sam and I spent our Sunday watching the commemorative services on TV, where both President Obama and Bush spoke behind bullet-proof glass shields. It was great service...and it definitely brought me to tears seeing the victim's family members walk into the memorial site for the first time. To them that is their loved one's grave site....that's the last place they were seen alive. 

In all this sadness, I am so thankful that the 10th anniversary of 9/11 fell on a Sunday. For me, being able to leave all the TV images of 9/11 at home, and go to church where I knew our Pastor, David Platt, would be talking about this historical event, gave me a sense of a relief. We were reminded that although it was a terrible tragedy, God was and is still in control, and for reasons I'll never understand, He allowed that day to unfold like it did. He never stopped being completely good though. I was encouraged by verses like these that speak of God's ultimate authority: 

"By the breath of God ice is given, and the broad waters are frozen fast. He loads the thick cloud with moisture; the clouds scatter his lighting. They turn around and around by his guidance, to accomplish all that he commands them on the face of the habitable world. Whether for correction or for his land or for love, he causes it to happen." - Job 37:10-13

And when that stupid devil took everything from Job, he couldn't do it without first asking God's permission, "And the Lord said to Satan, 'Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand.'" Job 1:12

"Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
-Ps. 46:10

We were reminded of our future home where we will never again have to deal with high-jackers, and 9/11's:

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying: 'Behold the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with him as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall their be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away'." -Revelations 21: 3-4

David Platt did a way better job of explaining if you every want to hear him in action, just click here.

Needlesstosay, it was a day of grief for everyone that lost their lives, but also a day of hope...For that I am thankful. And we made sure we flew our flag to show it.



Love you!

Whiggle








No comments:

Post a Comment