Thursday, March 10, 2011

life on mars




Sorry it's taken me so long to write back, it's been a busy week or so and I'm just getting caught up with stuff. I loved the pics you put up from last weekend, makes me miss being there with everyone. AND I loved the picture of the giant birthday cake...yuuummm:)

The good news here is that I got a job! It's at a cute little coffee shop in Old Town, the picture I put up is of the square that it's in... The place is called Kaffekoppen="The Coffee Cup" and it's in the pinkish building in the middle of the picture. I'll definitely take you there when you come.

I've been thinking that for the most part I feel like I'm pretty settled into life here. Other times, not so much. It's actually been a few degrees above freezing for a several days in a row, and for the first time in months I saw grass through the snow. I was so surprised by the sight of it that I had to kneel down and touch it to make sure it was real. I only felt a little crazy. And after a long, dark winter the sun finally decided to reappear and I discovered that this is the cue for all Swedes to simultaneously exit their building and find any area to soak in the rays(still in down jackets, of course). I've also discovered what I can only describe as the "Swedish sun-worshiping" pose, where when they find themselves directly in the sun they will stop in their tracks, turn towards the sun and stand there with their eyes closed, frozen still. I've seen this countless times, in every area from walking paths to people nearly standing in the street. Sometimes, this place is so different from Alabama it feels more like a different planet than a different country.

Just to add to my feeling of craziness, I felt the need to do exactly the same thing when I finally saw the sun again. It has been a very long winter.

My only real complaint besides the cold is one that seems insignificant but is highly irritating. I've been doing laundry without dryer sheets and we now have a serious static problem in our apartment. I have since been to 3 different grocery stores in search of dryer sheets only to find out that, most likely, Swedes don't use them. So for the time being, I'll have to get used to being mildly electrocuted by everything I touch... maybe you can stick a box of dryer sheets in your bag when you come in May:)

Oh, Miles the Dachshund went home yesterday after nearly 6 weeks with us. I actually miss him a lot. So, in his honor, I'll put up some of the last pictures I took of him...

Possibly the strangest way I've seen any dog sleep



This is what Miles did when Bjorn got back from being away for a week



I don't even know what to say about this...


By the way, Sadie looks ridiculous. She really can't catch a break these days with all the things that happen to her. I'm sure she'll be back to her normal cuteness in no time though.

I can't believe we're about to be 25. We're old. Or as Bjorn likes to say to rub it in, closer to 30 than 20. Let me know what you're thinking for B'day ideas. Hope you're having a good week, Whitty:)

Love you,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment